Monday, June 27, 2011

First steps to Philmont

Going to Philmont with my son has been a goal of mine for many years. Originally I had hoped for this to happen the summer after his 8th grade year but that did not work out. The good news is that we ended up with two slots in 2012 (Troop and crew) and I was invited by the SM to participate. Over the next several months, I will blog from time to time here about our experience as we prepare for this trip. I am sure there will be many ups and downs along the way.

Last week we began our training and team building with a five mile hike. The Scouts are working on the hiking merit badge and the was the shortest of a series of many hikes. The guys seemed to be in good spirits and kept a brisk pace. This was a week night hike and the Oklahoma June heat was certainly in full swing.

It seemed all the guys did well and I am looking forward to the future hikes just as much for the fun time walking together as anything. Next up is a 0530 10 miler and I know that is going to be great.



No comments:

Post a Comment